How to Cook Crunchy Kentang Arab
It’s Bunda's favorite meal. She had tasted kentang arab long before got married. It was delicious and crunchy. She really likes it! But, she never had a plan to cook it by herself. Because it would be a bit difficult to make than, for instance, french fries.
Then, when Bunda moved to Surabaya, she did not find any kentang arab in this city.
Ingredient and Directions to Make Kentang Arab
One day, Yayah wanted that snack when he came back from work. So, Bunda search for the recipe and went to market to buy the ingredients:
- wheat flour
- cooking oil
In an afternoon, Bunda started to process those ingredients. Here's the steps:
- Peel the potato and chop it.
- Boil it for while. Bunda used to do this when she was about to make french fries. The boiling process has a purpose to make the potato a little bit tender, so you do not have to waste your time to fry it. And this can avoid the potato from the black stains. However, if you want to cook the potato immediately, you can skip this part.
- Put the sticks into the battered egg with scrapped cheese and a little bit of salt.
- Put it on the flour. Roll it until the potato is covered by wheat flour.
- Fry it within hot cooking oil. Use the medium heat, so the potato will not be burnt. It needs to be slowly cooked.
- Voilà… delicious kentang arab is on the plate!
It is good to be served in hot, so you can get the crispy and cheese’s smoke. It would be better if you serve it with chili sauce or you can spread the seasoning powder with the taste of cheese, barbeque, chicken curry or roasted corn.
And for crispier result, Ayah-Bunda, you may use crispy flour instead of plain wheat flour. And use thicker layer of flour. But remember, the more you use flour, the more it wastes cooking oil.
Have a nice try!
- Photos by Homerie